Crowns & Bridges
A crown is a dental restoration that covers or “caps” a tooth to restore it to its normal shape, size and function. Its purpose is to strengthen or improve the appearance of a tooth.
A crown can:
- Restore a tooth when there isn’t enough tooth remaining to provide support for a large filling.
- Attach a bridge to replace the missing teeth.
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing.
- Restore a fractured tooth.
- Cover a badly shaped or discolored tooth.
- Cover a dental implant.
There are various types of crowns, ranging from full porcelain to full metal. In the process of making a crown, the material often is colored to blend in with your natural teeth.
Your dentist wants to create a crown that looks natural and feels comfortable and will explain the advantages and disadvantages of each kind of crown available for you.